December 7, 2009

Got Fresh Herbs?


During the spring and early summer before it gets too hot in the desert I enjoy growing vegetables in two raised beds in my backyard.  This year I've added some fresh herbs in one of the beds and have used them to spice up various dishes.  Using herbs from the garden is a cost effective and a beneficial way to add freshness and flavor.  The bed pictured above contains green onions, lemon balm, thyme, oregano, sage, flat leaf parsley, and two types of basil.  I also grow two different types of mint in containers and have rosemary bushes planted in the yard.  When a recipe calls for fresh herbs I don't have to run to the grocery store,  I just step outside and cut a few sprigs.  If you have some extra space or an unused container in your yard consider growing a few herbs.  It's a snap and your taste buds will thank you.   

No comments:

Post a Comment